Wednesday, June 18, 2014

OPA! Oil Painters of America

I'm excited to announce that this portrait I painted of Kerri will be included in the Oil Painters of America's Eastern Regional exhibition. The show opens on September 12th at the Eisele Gallery of Fine Art in Cincinnati Ohio. This is the 3rd painting I've done of Kerri and I believe it's the most successful one I've done of her.

I've been inspired by the work of Steven Assael for some time now and one of the many things I love about his work is what he does with light and color.  This painting is my second attempt at using a colored light bulb in a portrait. I think the colored light really adds another level to the piece. I lit Kerri with a 5K light bulb over head and had a red 60w shining in from the side. I'm going to continue exploring with this some more as I find it very challenging to try and get that strong color and light to work on the face.

Here's the painting. It measures 16x10 and is oil on panel.







9 comments:

  1. Very nice work! Before I even read the post, I thought "Oh, he likes Steven Assael!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adam, Steven is such a beast. I would love to watch him paint at some time. Either way playing around with colored lights has been a lot of fun and quite challenging.

      Delete
  2. I think this is an informative post and it is very beneficial and knowledgeable. Therefore, I would like to thank you for the endeavors that you have made in writing this article. All the content is absolutely well-researched. Thanks... Omaha painters

    ReplyDelete
  3. i never know the use of adobe shadow until i saw this post. thank you for this! this is very helpful. Professional France Tour Guides

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dedicated staff ensure that you achieve the perfect balance of quality family time with giving each enough space, taking decisions off the hands of busy parents, Premium Santorini Transfers

    ReplyDelete
  5. ssentially, this letter will include the same details as in the letter from the visiting organization in India. In addition to that, it will also have the agreement on meeting the applicant's maintenance expenses in India. indian visa online

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. virtual tour services

    ReplyDelete